I LOVE small town romances and Candis Terry's Sugar Shack series is a favourite of mine. It is full of heart and laughter, so when I heard she had a new series coming out I couldn't wait to have her over to tell you about it. So please give the warmest welcome to Candis, tell us whether you enjoy small town romances like us, and you could even win a copy of Crazy Sweet Fine Candis' newest release!
5 Reasons I Love Writing Small Town Romances
by Candis Terry
Happy Blogoversary Stella! And many more amazing years to come!
ANYTHING BUT SWEET -- will be a June 25, 2013 release) with probably THE most difficult hero I’ve ever written. Yes, the man drips with sexuality, but he refused to comply with my wishes. He wasn’t funny. And though he was yakking in my ear the whole time I was writing book #1, he clammed up as soon as he got his turn.
In the meantime, I’m honored to be included in a new book of romantic stories with amazing New York Times Bestselling Author Rachel Gibson and the effervescent Jennifer Bernard (Bachelor Firemen series). CRAZY SWEET FINE will be on sale March 26. My little story in this anthology is called HOME SWEET HOME. It introduces my new Sweet, Texas series and the love story of Army Ranger Lt. Aiden Marshall and Paige Walker, the woman waiting to make his homecoming one to remember.
1. CHARACTERS – Though the stories created in my head always start with a situation and never the characters, it is the characters who bring the situation to life. In a romance its obvious the hero and heroine are the most important. But in my stories I find the entire cast of characters to be just as vital because they help the hero and heroine come to life. I’ve written everything from a backseat driving ghost mom who hands out unwanted advice to her adult children, to an amorous 80+ year old bow-legged cowboy. Some of these characters are a mix of people I’ve met along the way and some are just completely made up in my head. All of them are folks I’d like to spend a little time with over a hot cup of coffee. Or a shot of whiskey.
2. COMMUNITY – In my stories the community always plays a large part. Whether its coming together to fix up the neighborhood or celebrate the quirkiness of the town in a parade that goes up the street one way, turns around and comes back down the same way. I know they’ll always work together for what’s best for the entire community. And they are always there to support the hero and heroine. Okay, most of the time. Watch out for Lila Ridenbaugh in ANYTHING BUT SWEET. She’s got a different idea.
3. LOCATION – Always my favorite. I’m an outdoors girl and the locations I select usually offer mountains, rivers and streams, gorgeous vistas, and romantic settings. This is where I truly get my ahhhhhh moments. Just because it’s snowing outside my window doesn’t mean I can’t escape an incredible summer sunset from a pine-scented mountaintop. One of these days I really do have to do a story set in Hawaii or something. Which leads me to my next reason...
4. RESEARCH – To get a true feel of the places I write about I actually get in the truck (with travel trailer attached) or on a plane or even an ATV. I love discovering new places and the little things that make each location special whether it’s the little museums or the local’s favorite restaurant or bar (yes, Seven Devils Saloon really does exist). I hope when you read my stories, you actually get a sense of being there. And sometimes, I’ll admit, it’s really hard to leave.
5. LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST—READERS – I’m never sure how much readers understand why we authors write. At heart we are storytellers. But it is the true joy of knowing we’ve made a reader smile, or laugh, or even shed a tear. It’s the connection from us to you. A lifeline, so to speak. And you are all the most important reason I keep writing long after my body tells me it’s time to quit and go to bed.
I hope you’ll join me over at my brand new website where I have an updated blog, appearances, book excerpts, recipes, and more.
Or join me on Facebook or Twitter @CandisTerry.
Fall in love--over and over again--with three much-loved romantic stories from New York Times bestselling author Rachel Gibson, Candis Terry, and Jennifer Bernard.
Crazy On You by Rachel Gibson
Newly single Lily Darlington is starting over after a messy divorce, and the gorgeous police officer next door is hoping for a chance to protect, serve . . . and love.
Home Sweet Home by Candis Terry
Lt. Aiden Marshall has returned to Sweet, Texas, where the woman he's always loved is waiting to make it a homecoming to remember . . .
One Fine Fireman by Jennifer Bernard
Fireman Kirk is nicknamed Thor for his Viking good looks--but whenever he's around Maribel he turns to mush. Can a feisty puppy and an even feistier little boy help them find the true love they both so richly deserve?
Love is just a heartbeat away in three classic tales as sassy, sexy, and wonderfully unpredictable as the real thing!
Candis has generously offered a signed paperback copy of Crazy Sweet Fine by Rachel Gibson, Candis Terry, Jennifer Bernard to two lucky commenters!
a Rafflecopter giveaway